Essential Information for New Parents & Pupils
Welcome to Swanton Morley VC Primary School! We trust that you, and your child, are very much looking forward to starting at our school.
The information below is designed to give you as much essential information as possible before your child starts here.
- School starts at 8.45. Please drop your child at the school gate and allow him/her to walk onto the playground and join their year group line. Teachers will then take the children into school.
- If you arrive after 8.55 then the gate will be locked, and you will need to bring your child to the front office where they will be marked as late.
- Breakfast Club is available between 7.45-8.45. Please book in advance.
- School finishes at 3:15. Please come onto the playground to pick up your child. If somebody different is picking up you child then you must let the school know via the member of staff on the gate or the school office.
- After School Club is available between 3.15-5.15. Please book in advance. If for whatever reason you are late picking up your child, then to ensure there is adequate supervision and in order to keep you child safe, we will put them into After School Club. Normal charges for this facility apply.
- If your child cycles or scoots to school then a helmet must be worn. Children must not ride their bike or use their scooter on the playground.
- If you do have to come to school by car then please park at the village hall.
- Dogs are not allowed on the school site.
- All children must wear school uniform. Uniform can be purchased from Birds of Dereham. The school uniform policy is available to download from the school website and should be read and followed at all times. Please note that there is a separate section for the uniform to be worn in Reception and details regarding swimming kit.
- On the days your child has PE we would ask them to come to school wearing their kit as we have found that this maximises activity time during PE lessons. A reminder that on those specific days, the school uniform policy clearly states that children should be wearing their PE t-shirts, a plain dark coloured sweatshirt or tracksuit top, dark coloured shorts or tracksuit bottoms/joggers and sturdy trainers. It is not acceptable to wear clothes with prominent logos or advertising.
- All children from Reception to Year 2 will be entitled to a free school meal each day. Meals can be purchased for any child from Year 3 to Year 6 for £2.30. Menus are available on the Norse website. Meals are ordered through Pupil Asset and must be booked at least a week in advance. There are a range of daily meal options and dietary requirements can be accommodated if needed.
- We encourage packed lunches to be as healthy as possible to reinforce our teaching about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. All packed lunch boxes/bags must be clearly named.
- Every child in the infants will receive a free piece of fruit or vegetable every day so there is no need to give your children anything extra.
- Juniors can bring in a healthy snack/fruit from home each day.
- Please note that we are a nut free school.
- Drinking water is available at school but children are encouraged to bring in a named water bottle to keep in the classroom in order to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Unless there is a specific medical reason which has been documented, then we would request that bottles coming into school only contain water. Please ensure that bottles are washed out at home and refilled daily.
The amount of homework that your child receives will depend on the year group they are in. Your child should bring their book bag home from the beginning of term. Please check it daily for letters, homework tasks and notes home and make sure that it goes back to school every morning.
What should you do if you have a problem or a worry?
- Speak to the class teacher, they are always happy to help!
- Phone/email school to make an appointment to talk to the class teacher or headteacher.
- Talk to Mr Richards at the school gate.
- Attendance is very important! However, if your child has been sick or has had diarrhoea then they must stay away from school for 48 hours after the last episode in order to protect everyone’s health. If your child is unwell and cannot attend school, please let us know by ringing the school before 08:55 each day.
- Please try and make all medical and dental appointments outside of school hours where possible. If your child is going to the doctors, hospital or dentist please can you let the school know as soon as possible and provide us with a copy of the appointment letter/message for our records.
Things to Remember
- A named book bag for library books, letters and notes home. These can be purchased from Birds of Dereham. Children in KS1 should avoid bringing in rucksacks.
- A named water bottle
- In the summer, a sun hat and sun cream. Please note that your child is required to apply the sun cream themselves, with adult supervision if required. We suggest parents apply it before coming to school on anticipated sunny days.
- Waterproof coat
- Wellies (so the field can be accessed as much as possible)
- Swimming kit – all children will have the opportunity to swim over the course of the academic year and your child’s class teacher will provide you with the details of when this is taking place
- Children need shoes in line with the school uniform policy that they can put on themselves, that are comfortable, sensible and named
- Children with pierced ears may wear stud type earrings. They need to be able to remove their own earrings or preferably leave them at home on PE/swimming days
- Long hair should be tied up, neatly away from the face
- And finally….please remember to name ALL clothes and belongings!
Hopefully this has provided you with all of the essential information that you require but if you do have any further questions or queries then please don’t hesitate to get in touch as this is the beginning of a new relationship, with home and school working together for the happiness and success of your child.
Headteacher, Swanton Morley VC Primary School